Nowhere but Home: A Novel

Nowhere But Home - Liza Palmer I received a copy of Nowhere but Home by Liza Palmer from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This is an awesome story and it was so well written that the reader will find themselves on an emotional rollercoaster.

Queenie and her older sister Merry Carole are still trying after over a decade to put their mother’s reputation and her death behind them and move on with their lives. They are trying to make peace with the past but the “good” people of North Star just won’t let them. My word, I felt I was I was in North Star myself watching the story unfold!

Queenie’s character is very strong, but she does not understand why she is the way she is, because for the most part she is running from the past, trying for it not to catch up with her and her struggles are sometimes so heartwrenching while trying at the same time to get over the “love of her life”. Merry Carole on the other hand is trying to pretend the people of North Star don’t get to her at all and is for the most part outwardly calm in spite of everything, but there is so much going on under the surface.

Watching the story unfold is sometimes quite sad and I would admit that a couple tears were indeed shed, but the author was excellent, bringing some very funny laugh out loud moments to create some balance with the sadness. As with her book “More Like Her” she has shown a talent for writing.

I would totally recommend this book to anyone.